SRT is a safe and effective non-surgical option for your treatment.
The most common kinds of skin cancer are basal cell cancer and squamous cell cancer. Basal cell cancer is a slow-growing cancer that seldom spreads to other parts of the body. Squamous cell cancer also rarely spreads, but it does so more often than basal cell cancer. However, it is important that skin cancers be found and treated early because they can invade and destroy nearby tissue.
How does radiation work?
Radiation is a very important tool in the fight against cancer. When radiation interacts with a cancerous cell, it alters the cell’s DNA (or genetic make-up) and its ability to reproduce, which ultimately leads to cell death in the cancerous tumor.
What is SRT?
Superficial Radiotherapy (SRT), a low energy radiotherapy that penetrates only a short distance below the surface of the skin. Is a highly effective, painless, and cosmetically attractive alternative to surgery in selected cancers and patient populations. Our SRT-100 is the newest and most advanced choice for superficial radiotherapy available, is painless, and very similar to having an x-ray.
Our SRT-100 treats non-melanoma skin cancers that are found on the surface of the skin. It can be used for lesions on the arms, legs, back and trunk., but is especially well suited for skin cancers of the head and neck regions, the fold in the nose, eyelids, lips, corner of the mouth, and the lining of the ear, that would otherwise lead to a less than desirable outcome. SRT is also a great treatment option for patients who are considered high risk for surgical procedures.
What to expect:
- The SRT procedure is non-surgical and does not require the use of anesthetics.
- You will be required to attend several sessions, depending on your provider’s recommendations.
- Tell your doctor about medications you are taking and continue them unless your physician tells you otherwise.
- The x-ray will be directed toward the lesion by placing an applicator cone over the treated area.
- Once the treatment begins, it will take less than 90 seconds to deliver the therapy.
- The treatment is painless, but you will notice the skin redness by the end of the first week’s treatment.
- Post treatment, the skin will form a protective scab. The new, healthy skin will develop underneath it.